Sunday, June 13, 2010

Corn Muffin Recipe (Vegan)


One of my favorite breakfasts growing up was when my Mom made "Johnny Cake." My Dad introduced Johnny Cake to us - his Mom used to make it for his family. Johnny Cake is cornbread, served with butter, and topped with maple syrup. I created my own recipe for cornbread so Sam can enjoy Dad's Johnny Cake, too. I make muffins so I can freeze them easily, and they are the right portion size for her. We eat these muffins with a little olive oil and salt on them (to replace the butter), and then drizzled with pure maple syrup. These muffins are also great served with chili, or whenever cornbread is called for. On a side note, I used white corn meal to make these muffins, so they aren't as yellow as the muffins would be if using regular corn meal.

Corn Muffin Recipe

1 cup corn meal
1 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water -OR- vegan milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix together thoroughly. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray. Use a large spoon to spoon batter into pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Makes 12 muffins. Either serve plain, or "Johnny Cake" style, with a butter substitute and pure maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment