Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pineapple Sorbet Recipe (Vegan)


I was given a beautifully ripe pineapple the other day from my friend Laura.  When I asked her earlier how to tell if a pineapple is ripe, she said that it's ripe if the bottom of the pineapple is yellowish and if you can easily pull a couple of the spiky leaves out of the middle of the top.  I decided to make pineapple sorbet out of the pineapple she gave me.  I am so glad I did!  It's fantastic to say the least, and currently my favorite sorbet.  The light yellow color of the sorbet is beautiful, and it is so fresh tasting.  If you can get a pineapple on sale, it's a really affordable sorbet your family will love.

Pineapple Sorbet Recipe

1 ripe pineapple
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Cut away the outer shell from the pineapple, and discard all of the woody parts. Cube the pineapple core into small squares and add them to a medium-sized pot. Add the water and sugar and heat to boiling over High heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Let the mixture cool in the refrigerator for a couple of hours and then pour it into a blender and "liquify" it.  Pour the pineapple puree through a mesh strainer to strain out any pulp and fibers.  Add the strained pineapple puree to an automatic ice cream maker to make the sorbet (I run the ice cream maker for 16 minutes).  Makes 1 pint (2 cups) of sorbet.

No comments:

Post a Comment