Monday, December 10, 2012

Pork Sausage Stuffing Recipe


My mom makes the most incredible stuffing.  She has always made a pork sausage stuffing for the holidays, and with goose and duck dinners back when my dad hunted.  As with most wonderful family recipes, Mom doesn't measure, she just knows exactly how to make it perfect each and every time.  Whenever I spend holidays with my parents, still to this day, Mom and Dad make the stuffing and I eat it.  I realized recently that I don't spend as many holidays with my parents anymore, and aside from missing them, I really miss Mom's stuffing.  I've recreated Mom's stuffing to the best of my ability for my family, omitting an onion and a sprinkling of garlic powder (which you could easily add yourself), and I think this comes pretty close.  My favorite part is the crunchy bits on top that happen during the last 20 minutes of baking uncovered.  This is a great stuffing for any holiday, or any time.

Pork Sausage Stuffing Recipe

1 bag seasoned stuffing mix bread cubes, or plain stuffing mix bread cubes (7.5 oz bag or 4 cups)
1 lb country style or regular pork sausage
2 celery sticks (and a small onion if you want)

1/2 tsp ground sage - if bread cubes are seasoned
-OR-
1 tsp ground sage - if bread cubes are plain

Pepper to taste
2 cups of water
1 tsp Better Than Bouillon (Kosher or Organic) Chicken Base

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Dice the celery sticks (and onion if you want) into small cubes.  Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray, heat to Medium High heat, and add the sausage and celery.  Season the sausage and celery with the sage (and a sprinkling of garlic powder if you want) and pepper to taste.  When the sausage is browned and fully cooked, remove it from the heat.  

In a large mixing bowl, add the bread cubes and the seasoned sausage and celery.  In a large measuring cup, mix 2 cups of water with Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base to make chicken broth.  Pour the chicken broth over the stuffing mixture and gently stir it, mixing everything together.  Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour the stuffing into it. 

Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake it for 40 minutes.  Bake it uncovered for 20 more minutes for 1 hour total baking time.  This side dish goes great with holiday turkey or any roasted bird.  Serves 6 people as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment