Saturday, January 19, 2013

Split Pea with Ham Soup Recipe


I love split pea soup.  When I was a kid, it was really the only way my mother could get me to willingly eat peas.  This is one of my favorite soups, especially for lunch with a grilled sandwich on a cold winter day.  This is also a great use for left-over ham after the holidays.

Split Pea with Ham Soup Recipe

Olive oil
2 cups of cooked, cubed ham
4 cups water
2 tsp Better Than Bouillon (Kosher or Organic) Chicken Base
1-1/2 cups split peas

Drizzle some olive oil in a large pot over Med High heat and add the cubed ham.  Use a wooden spoon to saute and brown the ham.  Add the water, Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base and split peas.  Give it a good stir and scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pot into the soup, then bring it to a boil.  When boiling, cover the pot, and lower the heat to Low.  Simmer the soup for 1 hour, covered, over Low heat.  Serves 4 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment